Save to variable from table/dict tab?

Feedback for Q Insight Pad usage

Save to variable from table/dict tab?

Postby yifan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:44 am

Hi,

When we run some query on qpad the result is usually displayed in table or dict tab at bottom. Is it possible to add a feature to right click menu, to export or save that result table or dictionary to a variable? Just like export all to csv

When I find this might be useful: say I'm running a query that I'm not that familiar with and it takes long to complete. I am debugging or just doing some research, and want to see what that query returns. Once it's done I don't want to run it again to save it, because I don't want to wait again or maybe the service on the server side is no longer available (say some bug happens only before market open and we can't run asof query to replicate that). It would be nice if I can just save it from the tab

Current workaround I'm trying: always save to a variable (but I keep forgetting from time to time...) or export to csv and load it back... neither is ideal...
yifan

Re: Save to variable from table/dict tab?

Postby Oleg » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:57 pm

Hi, Yifan!

Please try the latest build (that could be found at http://qinsightpad.com/upload/qpad/BE/qpad64_17b.zip)

Added couple of items to the output table context menu - "Show Results Source" shows where those results came from (server, date and time in GMT and query text)...
While "Open in browser" have this information in the header, calling it for huge tables doesn't worth the wait.

Another one is hopefully what you wanted, you can pick a name for the variable, query is literally {(`$x) set y}. what you type will be passed as 1st param and K rendered into table - as second.

It should pass the exact result the table is rendered from, so you'll get back (or further to another instance) table/keyed table or dictionary, even list, depending on your settings - whether to show dictionaries and lists in grid view.

UPD:
Actually, I added another context menu item - to Result tab of the Output pane - to send back in any last result, regardless of what you want in your grid :)

Let me know if it works like you wanted and anything else you'd find helpful :) a lot of long cold Moscow evenings and weekends are ahead

Cheers,
Oleg
Oleg
Site Admin

Re: Save to variable from table/dict tab?

Postby yifan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:30 am

Thanks a lot Oleg, perfect!
yifan

Return to Feedback